This scholarship honors Ponca Chief Standing Bear and his contributions to America’s Native people by helping American Indian students pursue post-secondary education. This scholarship is granted by the Chief Standing Bear Journey for Justice Scholarship Fund, an affiliated fund of the Nebraska Community Foundation.
Three scholarships of $1,500 will be awarded to students who demonstrate qualities of leadership, character and academic accomplishment, and who need financial assistance to meet their educational goals.
To qualify, an applicant must:
- Reside in Nebraska and be a member of a recognized North American tribe.
- Have, or be on track to receive, a high school diploma or GED certificate.
- Be enrolled or plan to enroll in an accredited post-secondary educational program at a university, state or community college, technical or vocational school in the United States. (Enrollment will be required for funds to be disbursed.)
- Demonstrate financial need.
- Demonstrate leadership in his or her community.
- May be a recent high school graduate, current college student, or a “non-traditional student” – someone seeking to pursue post-secondary education after other life experiences (job, military, volunteer work, travel).
The application process is straightforward (see application form for details):
- Complete the personal information portion of the application form.
- Provide information regarding your financial need.
- Write a 500-word essay.
- Obtain a letter of reference.
Submitting your application:
All parts of your application must be submitted together (in a single envelope) and mailed to:
Chief Standing Bear Journey for Justice Scholarship
3145 South 29th Street
Lincoln, NE 68502
Applications must be received by 5:00 PM, April 1, 2017. (See application form for details.)
- All applicants will be notified of the decisions of the scholarship selection committee by the end of April.
- Scholarship winners will be announced in statewide media and invited to attend a dinner in their honor.
- Scholarship funds will be disbursed directly to the post-secondary institutions attended by the awardees.
If you have questions, please contact Joe Starita, Scholarship Administrator, at email@example.com.